Skip navigation
Banner: Read the FAQs on Emails, Points, Uploading and more ...

Help Motorola HT 750

Couldnt open port. Check whether device/ rib are powered on

I am using windows 7 operating system with i believe 32 bit system, will verify and correct if needed. I am using a usb style cable purchased off ebay. I downloaded the cps off of this site from a very helpful person. I was told i needed version R06.12.06 for programming the HT750 which i should of stated from beginning that is the radio im am having issue when going to read radio. It say "couldn't open port i tried using the drivers that came on disk that came with usb cable but it wouldnt allow to install from disk because it was in a Japanese/ Chinese language so i did a driver search and installed driver then did a second search to verify driver was up to date. Still getting "couldn't open port check whether device is powered on" . I tried with multiple good batteries still will not read. I read to delete other drivers and start from scrath with PL 2303 driver. That is where i am at at this point. Also tried using lowest COMM seting possible .
Back to the top

location USA
Back to the top

usb again .serial all the way:'(

R.G TWO-WAY RADIO Electronic & consultant
Back to the top

After the amount of infornation ive been gathering im probably just going to order serial adapter found one for $18 US im still going ro try to install PL 2303 driver already deleted all other ones and am going to start from scratch with much more knowledge than i started with thank you all for the information coming from. NJ USA volunteer firefighter trying to figure out how to program his portable
Back to the top

my friend let me tell you alittle story about usb cable .i only used when i cannot get the cable in serial .to much driver .issue .i have some  ht 750 radio which i program with my serial cable no issue at all.take a look#https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-Programming-Cable-Motorola-Radio-HT750-HT1550-HT1550XLS-DB-9-GP328/162574140629?hash=item25da2c84d5:g:YRIAAOSwpiNZupkU (Serial Programming Cable Motorola Radio HT750 HT1550 HT1550XLS DB-9 GP328 | eBay)

:thumbs:

Last edit: by tech

R.G TWO-WAY RADIO Electronic & consultant
Back to the top

Make sure to delete all previous drivers.  Also, when using USB, the comm port can be any number.  My computer has it ports 12-20.  The HT 750 version depends on the firmware in the radio but the newest software will program it.
Back to the top

Ok well i dont want to one of those people who ask for help and dont respond to the tips but as of yet i been so busy remodeling kitchen and fire academy classes my days have been long with work and everything else but i will be attempting with Prolific driver soon i already deleted all other drivers that came from disk with cables and then the ones i searched and updated myself will report back soon. Thank you all again for info very helpful
Back to the top

Having same issue. Wo dering if you solved this? Im windows 10 though 64 bit. I do know however the cable works as i can use my tuner program to read what the settings are on the radio. Just can get CPS to work.
Back to the top

The R06.12.06 runs best on XP, but, the global tuner does not.
I don't think this s/w runs on 64 bit platforms.
In mucking with many radios I have multiple PCs; DOS only (a very old prehistoric 286!) a basic DOS 386,  XP, and 8.1 home.

I would recommend even buying a basic hard drive and installing XP SP2 32bit on it for programming. Swap drives as needed. or, find a cheap PC and replace the power supply (they usually burp after about 6 years) and set it up as an XP programmer, no internet access at all.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.