Skip navigation
Banner: Jump directly to the Hamfiles Site News Forum

Kenwood tk-280 help

Can the tk-280 transmit a id text

Can the tk-280 transmit any kind of id that can be seen on other tk-280's?
Back to the top

Yes by using the FleetSync feature. All the radios used needs to be programmed with the unit identifier list (ex. - Code#5241 = John)
Make sure you check the box to use FleetSync and then choose if you want the identifier to transmit before or after PTT.

Does this help?
Back to the top

So you just go to the fleet sync and enter a code and name in the ID list for everyone and then go to options and select PTT ID type fleetsync tell when to send and then put the ID number in the begin or end tx box?
Back to the top

Yup, pretty much.

You have to build the list of identifiers and then install that in each radio otherwise you will get a bunch of numbers on the screen. Both the transmitting radio and receiving radio need the same codes for it to work. What sucks is that if there is a change then you gotta reprogram all the radios.
Back to the top

Thank you Sir I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can make it work. I'm the comms officer for our local volunteer fire department and we have been having alot of keying up without talking and I need to know if someone on the department is doing it or someone not authorized is.
Back to the top

i must be missing a step somewhere, its still not sending the ID. i click on fleetSync, fleet (own) is 100, ID(own) is 1000, should there be anything in the unit id encode block?, Then i click on the ID List tab fleet is 100 ID 1000, ID Name Daniel 435, trans inhibit no, second radio programed the same except ID(own) is 1001, ID List number is fleet 100, ID 1001, ID name Test 01. lol sorry i'm still very new at this.
Back to the top

I understand…I took care of all the radio programming for all the volly fire and full time police in my former department. Let me see if I can help here…

1. Under "EDIT tab, Under Optional Features 2 - PTT ID type should be "FleetSync" then choose if you want it at the beginning or the end of the transmission.

2. Under "EDIT' tab, Under FleetSync. Your fleet should all be the same number (100, 200, 300, etc) Your ID(own) is your particular radio identifier number.
You have to build your identifier list of all the radios you want it to recognize. Go to "ID List" and create it. The fleet number should all be the same but ID numbers should be individual. What is in this box is what will be displayed on everyone's radio when they transmit. Don't worry about the parameters tab, status list or GPS.

for example:

Fleet               ID                     ID Name
          100             1000                  Fire Chief
          100             1001                  Engine 1
          100             1002                  Engine 2
          100             1003                  Engine 3

3. Once you create this list of identifiers then you go to each individual radio channel under "Channel Information." from the EDIT tab.

4. On the bottom of the frequency list there is a "Channel Edit" tab, click this. It will give you information of each channel. Make sure on each channel you click the "PPT ID" to "ON". This will allow your FleetSync to be used on all the channels you wish.

5. Now that you made your ID list and your radio has it's own personal identifier, now you can save that file and use it to program all the other radios. Just remember to change each individual radio's ID to what you want it to be.

Be sure to give each radio its own personal ID or you will get an error message. There cannot be two radios with the same identifier. Also. if there is a radio that doesn't have the full identifier list, there will be a bunch of zeros shown in the display.For example, I had my mobile and portable radio to transmit "Chief 801" and I kept getting an error message. The radio freaked out because it recognized it's own identifier. So I had to make my portable radio "Chief 801 P" with a unique ID number in the FleetSync list. What sucks is that you have to add that ID to all the radios so it will recognize that code.

Back to the top

Does the version number matter? Mine are version 1 and are not sending the code.
Back to the top

YES!!

The version of the radios themselves all have to be version 2.0 or later. You can check to see what version you have by taking the battery off the back and look at the label. The version is in the upper left hand corner. If that area is blank, it's version one.
Back to the top

[This entry failed to be properly created; please edit/delete as appropriate]

Back to the top

here
Back to the top

Awe crappola. I tried to post a picture with it circled but can't somehow.

Its the "Ver 2.0" is what you are looking for on your radios. If you don't have version 2.0 you are SOL.
Back to the top

Yes sadly all mine are version 1 so I'll just have to get some newer versions later lol. Thanks for all your help
Back to the top

That sucks...sorry to hear that. They are still a great radio but the fleet sync is just one of the bells and whistles...lol
Back to the top

Will the Ver 1 receive PTT ID? Lol I'm gonna have to find a Ver 2 and find out lol. To bad Kenwood didn't do a firmware update to allow it to do the PTT ID like the Ver 2 does.
Back to the top

I don't believe a V 1.0 radio will do the PTT ID but it will do the roger beep either before or after the transmission if you want.

I'm not aware of a firmware update, I think they just updated it and sold it as a new radio. Maybe someone else can help with that?
Back to the top

Most likely they didn't lol How else would they get us to buy new radios lol
Back to the top

Very true!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.