Skip navigation
Banner: Jump directly to the Hamfiles Site News Forum

Kenwood TK-3400U16P Protalk

Can the firmware be changed?

Hey all, I'm somewhat new to all this and am fumbling my way through trying to program some radios. We currently are using a bunch of different Motorola radios (most of which are CP150s, CP200s, and some CP200Ds) and recently found the Kenwood TK-3400 Protalk radios to meet our requirements.

Originally we only had 4 users who were going to be using the Kenwoods and they didn't need to talk to the Motorolas but then we noticed that one of the 90 preprogrammed frequencies in the Kenwoods matched one of our licensed frequencies that we are using with the Motorolas so we decided to see if we could program all of our licensed frequencies into the Kenwoods. We then discovered the issue we're having, in that the software won't let us program the radios as anything other than "Protalk" so we can't actually input the frequencies we need.

We want to keep using the Kenwoods and are considering phasing out the Motorolas with the Kenwoods because they are much more affordable and we like their performance, however, is there any way to change/update the firmware on the Kenwood radios to allow us to program them as LMR models? We spoke with one of the vendors that we have bought Motorola radios from in the past and they said that they could program the radios for us for a fee. Or, is there anywhere that we can just buy the LMR versions of the radios outright so that we can then program them ourselves? I haven't had any luck finding anything other than the Protalk models online.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Back to the top

Try google and look at the kenwood tk3400 manual ... the 74 page version. It has a frequency table that shows Kenwood / Motorola compatibly frequencies and if I am not mistaken there are only 4 channels that work between the 2.
Back to the top

Thank you for your response and I appreciate it, but maybe I didn't explain the situation well enough. None of our Motorolas are using a default set of pre-programmed frequencies. They are not the talkabout models and are programmed with 4 specific frequencies. The problem is that the Kenwood Protalk models, out of the box, are programmed with preset frequencies and will not allow us to do the LMR programming so that we can make them match the Motorolas. If we could change the firmware on the Kenwoods so that they would allow us to do the LMR programming we would be golden.

As it is now, we either need to change the firmware on the Kenwoods, buy the LMR version (which I cannot find anywhere), or reprogram ALL of Motorola radios to match 4 of the frequencies pre-programmed into the Kenwoods.

EDIT: Received confirmation yesterday from a Kenwood dealer that it is not possible to change the firmware on the Protalk models to allow you to program them in LMR mode. I have seen posts elsewhere on the interwebs that indicated it was possible, but I was doubtful because they didn't share any details of how they accomplished it, so as of now I'm going to go with the TK-3400 radios that we purchased being of limited use to us.

Last edit: by jeayers

Back to the top

Hi!
Sorry for the late reply.

This was a passion project for me years ago. I was led to believe a firmware swap was all that was needed. I wound up bricking one radio (the other I was able to successfully revert to a PT) before I finally quit.

I was never able to figure it out, but I still believe it's possible.
Back to the top

Best thought … is to have them programmed easy as 1 2 3 … now if your going to use FRS or GMRS frequencies, you'll have to coordinate with the FCC to use the GMRS as for the FRS frequencies .. you'll need to program all 16 and use LOW power as per FCC rule.
Back to the top

surfacemount said

Hi!
Sorry for the late reply.

This was a passion project for me years ago. I was led to believe a firmware swap was all that was needed. I wound up bricking one radio (the other I was able to successfully revert to a PT) before I finally quit.

I was never able to figure it out, but I still believe it's possible.

Thanks for the feedback. I could never get a response from Kenwood so I started talking to one of their authorized sellers and was told that it's not possible to change the firmware on the PT models so that they will accept any frequencies other than the ones that come pre-programmed into them.

We ended up buying a few of the TK-3000 Kenwood radios (new to the US but have been for sale overseas for a bit) and they fit our needs perfectly so far. It just sucks that we now have 7 of the TK-3400 ProTalk radios that work fine but we can't program all the frequencies we want in to them.
Back to the top

Sure sorry about that!

Forgive my moto terminology (I don't speak Kenwood), but it seemed like you needed a KPG-style CPS instead of whatever locked down CPS that's supposed to work with the radio.

Then you get a non-PT codeplug, and force it in. Then it wakes up as a non-PT radio.

Like I said, I remember I got one to accept it, but for some reason it didn't work and I reverted it. The second radio, it flat bricked.

I also suspect you'd have to realign the radio going this route, as well.

Seven radios, that's a lot of untapped talent!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.