Kenwood TK-862 Programming difficulty

Posted
Rating:
#173933 (In Topic #156452)

Computer not reading the radio or getting into programming mode.

I am struggling in programming a Kenwood TK-862. I have programmed a few newer versions of Kenwoods so far with little trouble. For this one I pulled out the old Compaq with Windows 98 and ran the KPG29D program on DOS. I have the model of the radio selected, the cable is connected to both the computer and the radio, and the radio is on. When I go to select Read Radio, it tries to read it and says "Error!! Check Connection. Take radio out of scan. Take radio out of transmit."

I tried holding a couple of buttons down while restarting the radio to see if I could get it into programming mode or something. Not sure if there is a specific combination, if that's even necessary, or if my COMM port isn't working correctly. I tried to make sure my COMM port was correctly selected and it says there is not COMM Port 2, so I'm assuming I have the correct one selected.

Any ideas?

Previously I used software for the 862G and a USB cable and it made both channel buttons light up red when trying to read it, but it was the wrong program for that radio. I can't get anything similar to happen with the correct software and the COM cable.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I program 862G E Type (5 tone) with KPG-67D program on DOS. With Windows xp32BIT ,Windows 7 32BIT COMM port , old laptop

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the input. I believe I tried that program as well, but since the radio is a TK-862 with 2 channels and not the TK-862G, it says the model selection is wrong and won't let me read or program it, though it did make the attempt and gave me the error message.

I tried a different computer running DOSbox and the KPG29D program, but I get the message that it could bot read the radio, "take it radio out of scan. Take radio out of transmit" again. Might be the cable, though it is new. Not sure how to take the radio out of those two modes or put it in programming mode….

Posted
Rating:
try to change com port speed maybe help.
I used a max232 home production cable.
Programming better that the antenna is connected

Posted
Rating:
Hello, according to my Kenwood programming software sheet, the TK862G is programmed with KPG-56D Windows. Good Luck :)

Posted
Rating:
Donor
I didn't see if you found success or not.
The TK-862 will program with CHIRP using the KPG-4 USB cable.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.