Skip navigation
Banner: Programming or technical problem? Click to Ask the Experts.

MD 380 Issue

When trying to read radio in programming the USB keeps giving a error

What could be wrong
Back to the top

I have had the same problem, try all of the usb sockets on your computer, yesterday I tried 3 before it worked.
Let me know how it goes…

I miss communications.support, I'll try to be "nice".
If this was helpful feel free to click "Thanks".
Back to the top

use serial cable  no issue at all.:thumbs:

Last edit: by tech

R.G TWO-WAY RADIO Elecctronic & consultant
Back to the top

tech said

use serial cable  no issue at all.:thumbs:

None exist for the md380, unless a homebrew…

I miss communications.support, I'll try to be "nice".
If this was helpful feel free to click "Thanks".
Back to the top

for real.must to do check thanks.

look on it it seem to there is kenwood cable i have it is a serial . maybe it could work i will check on it when i get home later.:thumbs:

Last edit: by tech

R.G TWO-WAY RADIO Elecctronic & consultant
Back to the top

the TYT md380 has the chip inside the radio.  The cable itself is straight through USB.  Using a K1 cable from a Kenwood, Wouxun, Baofeng, etc will fail.

location USA
Back to the top

I found that 2 main thinks can fix this the biggest one is usually the software your using not matching the hardware your trying to program you didn't give any details at all about your hardware so we need those to make sure your using the right software.

The other fix is to Goto your windows control panel and open "Device Manager" then look for [Ports] double click it to expand it then right click on the USB cable your using in that list and click properties. Select the second Tab at top "Port Settings" and click the [Advanced] button. Now pick a different COM Port Number try COM1 or at least make sure its 1-10 at some software may not work with higher numbers as older system may not have allowed higher.
Back to the top

I made my own Interface cable using a simple usb cable. and a 2.5mm and 3.5mm stereo jack

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/819936675880803729/ (MD380 Pinout/Cable Interface | Pinouts | Pinterest)
Back to the top

The serial number should already be stored in the radio, you just need to input your call sign and the ID# number you got given when you registered for the dmr network.
sometimes these program cables fail to register as a com port but instead just a usb connection but it does still transfer your code plug to your radio, only slower.
Back to the top

The best way to fix this issue is not to use a cheap cable and get the one with the proper chip. I resisted for a long time in getting that cable. Since I have I have not regretted it.
Back to the top

KM4MXZ said

The best way to fix this issue is not to use a cheap cable and get the one with the proper chip. I resisted for a long time in getting that cable. Since I have I have not regretted it.

There is no chip in the MD380's cable. It is a simple straight run with the com chip onboard the actual radio. The cable supplied with the MD380 works just fine…
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.