Kenwood TK8180 read/write password

Posted
Rating:
#278167 (In Topic #256515)

KPG89D prompting for Read Authorization Password

I have KPG89D software and a mic to USB cable.  I have read and written TK8180 radios successfully.  I have 5 of the TK8180 radios which have read and write passwords, apparently.    I do not need to know what is on the radio right now, I want to blank the radio and use it for ham radio purposes.

I would be very pleased to have a password needed to gain access to write my own channel programming to the TK8180.

Thanks for any help.

image of overwrite password entry field
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You can blank the radio out by writing to it a blank codeplug.

Posted
Rating:

fire13818 said

You can blank the radio out by writing to it a blank codeplug.

Thanks.  I pulled out one of the 5 TK8180 units which seem to have password protect and tried it.  This didn't seem to help.

I loaded the KPG89D software (running on MSWindows 7), checked that the port was setup properly.  I plugged into the radio, got it turned on (it needs the yellow wire pulled to 12v)
I did "New" (All Data Will Be Erased).  
I checked "Model" and it had defaulted to the proper radio.
I told it to Program -> Write Data To The Transceiver
it prompted for "write" "cancel" "help" and there was a checkbox for "Adjustment Time".  I left that checked. I clicked "Write"
It asked for an Overwrite Password

Thanks for the idea though.  

Posted
Rating:
Ok, my apologies. I didnt fully read the type of password. Doing some research, there is either an engineering software version of 89d that will remove passwords or an engineering password that will get you around. Google brought up a few cases of others looking to solve the same issue although it seems most conversations were finished over PM.

Sounds like its solvable, its just beyond what ive delt with.

Posted
Rating:
Donor
You might want to go to group.io and join the radio programming group. There is a with serial numbers for Kenwood software. 89d has several different serial numbers. You might want to reinstall the software using several of the serial numbers which should give you different options in the 89d  software. One might do the trick for you. I have played with the different serial numbers just to see what they do. It's been a while.

Posted
Rating:

NcCowboy said

You might want to go to group.io and join the radio programming group.

Thanks.  I am now in that group.  I will attempt some of the fixes suggested in a few weeks.   The 5 radios are sitting on the shelf staring at me and mocking me.  

Posted
Rating:
HamFiles Contributor
Greetings ttnc1234, uninstall and reinstall your software with this serial.
ID:089K4564K0A3AWWK

Last edit: by pinky45

Posted
Rating:

pinky45 said

Greetings ttnc1234, uninstall and reinstall your software with this serial.

Same result.  It does suggest that the transceiver firmware doesn't support all of the features of v1.61 of KPG89d  Should I try replacing the transceiver's firmware?

Posted
Rating:
HamFiles Contributor
What version of software are you using?

Posted
Rating:

pinky45 said

What version of software are you using?

KPG89d v1.61

Posted
Rating:
HamFiles Contributor
For your image, apparently if you could read it; Did you verify in data key, if the read key is different, than the write key?

Posted
Rating:

pinky45 said

For your image, apparently if you could read it; Did you verify in data key, if the read key is different, than the write key?
I don't know what that means.  What image?  What key?  I can't read anything from the radio.  It asks me for a password when i try.

Posted
Rating:
HamFiles Contributor
You need to uninstall your software from the control panel and reinstall it from scratch again, and when you are installing your software it will ask you for the id that happens to you and you install it (write it, do not copy and paste it so that you will not put it one more space), with that your radio must read you.
089K4564K0A3AWWK

Posted
Rating:
Donor

pinky45 said

You need to uninstall your software from the control panel and reinstall it from scratch again, and when you are installing your software it will ask you for the id that happens to you and you install it (write it, do not copy and paste it so that you will not put it one more space), with that your radio must read you.
089K4564K0A3AWWK

Yup!
uninstall first, then install again. it happened to me before. I just uninstalled the software and install it again….if there is a password in your radio, the engineering serial will solve it.
089K45999999AWUZ

Last edit: by cablon

Posted
Rating:
 :ninja:

ttnc1234 said

pinky45 said

I don't know what that means.  What image?  What key?  I can't read anything from the radio.  It asks me for a password when i try.

Hello
from CT1EYN

sorry for anything
how am i new
with little knowledge
what you should do in the meantime
but it must be possible to realize that I am not in the vicinity
to speak English and at this young age
I speak a little bit of My Language
That Also Has Barias

All this to say
who asks for help
that uses the Source Passes

example = 123456 = ou = 999999

with good night
CT1EYN

Posted
Rating:
Donor
Have you figured out how to get rid of write password?

Posted
Rating:
Donor
Found solutions:

Menu>Optional Feature>Data Password
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.